ARE YOU VETERAN X?
You just might be and not know it! Team up with other Veterans for the Mental Health Association’s new Veteran X program!
GOAL: Help Veteran X work through his/her personal challenges to empower you to change your life.
WHEN: Mondays from 6 – 8 PM
WHERE: Here at the Mental Health Association
VETERAN X PROGRAM
In Veteran X, the group members act as a treatment team for a fictitious Veteran X who has psycho-social issues that are similar to those of the group participants. Those group members assist Veteran X in choosing recovery oriented and realistic goals, and they research possible solutions to Veteran X’s problems. While they are assisting Veteran X, they are also finding solutions to their own problems.
HOW DOES VETERAN X WORK?
Veterans work together as a treatment team for a fictitious Veteran X who has an abundance of challenges similar to their own. These challenges are presented in the form of a “scenario” and may include things like mental illness, addiction, homelessness, economic hardship, family issues, etc.. The Veteran X scenario is relevant to veterans who are currently facing a wide variety of issues. Veteran X is also beneficial to veterans struggling with Military Sexual Trauma, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, etc.. As a group, led by a qualified peer support specialist, the veterans navigate the many challenging obstacles on the path to recovery in a supportive and collaborative environment with their peers. In helping Veteran X, the group members help one another and ultimately themselves.
KEY COMPONENTS OF VETERAN X
- A peer-run program by veterans for veterans to empower veterans.
- A structured format that involves group participants in the leadership of the group.
- Group activities that promote development of independence by promoting effective problem-solving.
- Installment of hope through the sharing of success stories.
- A sense of empowerment through the practice of helping Veteran X achieve his/her long term goals.