The role of the Family/Child Education Advocate is to provide families with information and individualized support to help ensure the rights of children with disabilities to a Free and Appropriate Public Education. (FAPE).
The Family/Child Education Advocate provides:
- Help with special education law that includes Individuals with Disabilities Education Act 2004 (IDEA 2004) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.
- Advocacy at Individualized Education Plans (IEP) and 504 agreement meetings for children and their families.
- Information and guidance on available community resources and behavioral health supports.
- Help with information and referral even if the child is not receiving special education services.
Who can access this service?
- Any parent or guardian whose child is receiving or has questions about special education services
- Agencies that would like to have more information about special education services
Education Law Center Right to Special Education in Pennsylvania:
PA Department of Education- Bureau of Special Education-PA Training and Technical Assistance Network: